Pomona-Pitzer Athletics has been awarded the coveted LGBT SportSafe Inclusion Program Gold Medallion for their work around inclusive athletic practices. The Gold Medallion signifies Pomona-Pitzer Athletics' commitment to building a more inclusive academic and athletic experience for student-athletes. In addition, the Sagehens also qualified for Founders Club status, being the first athletics program in the SCIAC to receive the Gold Medallion.
Co-founded by Nevin Caple and Dr. Eric Lueshen, LGBT SportSafe Inclusion Program was developed to create an infrastructure for athletic administrators, coaches, and recreational sports leaders to support LGBT inclusion in college and professional sports. LGBT SportSafe launched in partnership with the University of Oregon, Northwestern University and the University of Nebraska using a new framework, the 3-Peat Model, to help administration champion a culture of respect and inclusion. Membership benefits include:
- LGBT SportSafe Gold, Silver or Bronze Medallion for athletic department website to show LGBTQ inclusiveness
- Listing in the LGBT SportSafe National Registry
- Exclusive access to Coaches Corner: A comprehensive online resource for
- LGBTQ inclusion in sport
- Subscription to the quarterly e-newsletter
- Coaches, student-athletes and athletic administrators see visible, action-oriented commitment, removing fear
- Founders Club (for qualifying institutions)
For more information about the program or how to become a member, please visit the LGBT SportSafe Webpage.
Queer Resource Center
- Manuel Diaz, Assistant Dean of Students and Director
- Pharalyn Crozier, Assistant Director